The growing population of neglected and abandoned pets has become a serious problem in the United States. With shelters overflowing and too many strays on the streets, it’s vital that members of the community step in to help. There are so many ways to step up and get involved! From starting your own nonprofit to volunteering at a local shelter, Pampered Pet Sitting shares some great ways to make a positive impact on the pets in your community.
Adopt or Foster a Pet
Fostering or adopting a homeless pet will free up space in the shelter for another abandoned pet. Just make sure you do your research before taking on this responsibility!
- Foster dog parents may be responsible for obedience training, transporting the pet to adoption events, and matching pets with forever families.
- Looking for a forever pet? Apply to adopt a dog or cat from a local shelter.
- If you live in an apartment, make sure you choose a pet that will suit your lifestyle and living space.
Start a Business Helping Animals
If you’ve always wanted to be an entrepreneur, consider combining this passion with your love for animals and starting your own pet business!
- Research the local facilities available to determine the need for nonprofit animal rescues in your area.
- Starting a pet training business is a great way to help pets learn the obedience skills they need to remain in their forever homes.
- Taking online college courses allows you to improve your skills in the business field at your own pace.
- Make sure you tackle the legal groundwork before launching your new business.
Donate Your Time, Money, or Supplies
If starting a business or adopting an animal isn’t realistic, see how you can help a local animal nonprofit. Shelters are always short on money, supplies, and volunteers.
- Nonprofits work on tight budgets so they’re always happy to receive monetary donations from compassionate members of the community.
- Animal shelters are always in need of old blankets, towels, pet food, treats, toys, and pet-friendly cleaning supplies.
- There are several ways to help out at a local animal shelter, from walking dogs to collecting donations.
Few things are more fulfilling than helping abused and abandoned pets find loving homes. Whether you decide to adopt a furry friend yourself or donate to a local shelter, your involvement will make a difference. Do what you can to help the animals in your community!