4 Tips for Stress-Free Family Holiday Travel
Holiday travel is stressful on its own, let alone trying to find someone to care for your pet while you’re away. Boarding may not be the best option, if it’s even available near you, so reach out to Pampered Pet Sitting to come to your home to sit with your kitty or other small animals.
Also, a wonderful opportunity to create memories with your little ones. Thankfully, there is a lot you can do to Pampered Pet Sitting knows that the best and healthiest way to have your pets looked after when you travel. When going out of town your pets stay in the comfort of their own home. Call us today for your cat (and other small animals) sitting needs! 660-747-3554
If it’s your first major getaway since starting a family, you’re probably wondering whether you’ll make it to next year with your sanity intact. While family holiday travel can be challenging, it’s also a wonderful opportunity to create memories with your little ones. And thankfully, there’s a lot you can do to promote a smooth trip for you and your kids — like these four tips from Pampered Pet Sitting!
1. Secure your home
Burglars know families travel over the holidays and take advantage of that fact to break in when everyone’s away. The key to not becoming a target is making it look like someone’s home.
- Hold mail delivery. Mail piling up is a sure sign of a vacant home. Request the USPS to hold your mail or ask a neighbor to collect it daily.
- Set lights to timers. Timers that turn lights on and off at the usual times suggest to would-be intruders that your home is occupied. Front Point suggests switching to smart lights and then having the option to switch lights off and on right from your smartphone.
- Set up security cameras. In addition to lighting, mounting security cameras outside your home is an excellent way to deter criminals and monitor your property.
In addition to these steps, make sure your home is locked up, and don’t post photos of your travels on social media until after your return. You never know who is watching!
2. Prep your Car for Holiday Travel
Breaking down is stressful enough. Breaking down in the middle of winter with a carful of kids? That’s something no parent wants to experience. Avoid mishaps on the road by handling car maintenance before you depart.
- Replace worn tires. You’ll need sufficient tread to grip slick winter roads. If you’re heading somewhere with lots of snow, invest in tire chains.
- Test the battery. Many auto parts stores will test your car’s battery for free. Cold weather hinders battery performance so if the test shows your battery is weak, replace it.
- Replace windshield wiper blades. A clear windshield ensures maximum visibility on the road.
- Check the antifreeze. If traveling to a colder locale, you may need to adjust the water-to-antifreeze ratio to prevent coolant from freezing.
3. Extra Time for Holiday Travel
Everything takes longer with kids. A busy holiday travel season also causes things to move more slowly than usual. Always give yourself more time than you think you need to get things done. Don’t schedule tight flight connections, account for frequent bathroom stops on long drives, and add a time buffer to each activity on your itinerary.
Speaking of itineraries, avoid overloading your holiday schedule with activities. A tight schedule combined with overstimulated kids is a recipe for temper tantrums. Carpe Travel recommends limiting yourself to one or two activities per day.
Remember the stress management techniques you use at work? Like using deep breathing, stopping stress thought trains, and knowing your triggers? Well, you can put them to good use when you’re traveling. The last thing you want to do is lose your temper mid-journey.
4. Use a travel agent to help Holiday Travel
If you are traveling somewhere new for the holidays, you have lots of planning and preparation to
do. When you are busy finishing up holiday shopping and mailing out greeting cards, booking hotels, flights, and attractions can feel downright overwhelming. Hire a travel agent to coordinate the trip for you. With someone else handling the logistics, you can focus on
preparing your home and family for the holiday season.
To be honest, there is no way to remove all stress from a family trip. You can’t control everything, and variables like grumpy kids, flight delays, or bad driving weather can throw a wrench in the best-laid plans. But by taking these four smart steps, you eliminate the biggest obstacles between your family and a great holiday season.
Pampered Pet Sitting knows that the best and healthiest way to have your pets looked after when you travel. When going out of town your pets stay in the comfort of their own home. Call us today for your cat (and other small animals) sitting needs! 660-747-3554